Healthy Pastry Recipes
Giving up desserts is one of the more difficult parts of healthy eating. This might not be the case with everyone but it is true for many of us. The good news is that there are many healthy pastries and pastry recipes.
Pastries don’t just have to be a dessert either, they can be for breakfast or a snack. It’s all about the choice of ingredients one uses to make their food. The healthier the ingredients the better it will be for your health! These recipes will wow your taste buds and your body!
Mini Apple Pies
This is not your traditional apple pie but it is just as delicious and better for you! These tiny pies are gluten-free and low-carb too! In place of white sugar you’ll find honey and coconut sugar. We’re sharing this recipe from Erin Lives Whole
- Almond Flour
- Baking Soda
- Honey Crisp Apples
- Butter or Coconut Oil
- Coconut Sugar
- Apple Pie Spice
You’ll find the instruction on Erin’s blog.
Chocolate Chip Scones
Scones aren’t exactly the healthiest breakfast pastry because of how much butter is typically used. However, this recipe is a little different and substitutes a portion of the butter with Greek yogurt. Yogurt is full of healthy probiotics and it’s definitely not fattening like butter. Dark chocolate has shown to have some pretty amazing health benefits so be sure you use those!
- 1 ½ Cups Flour (gluten-free flour works here as well)
- 1 ½ Teaspoons of Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter (really cold and cubed)
- ½ Cup Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons of Pure Maple Syrup
- 3 Tablespoons plus 2 Tablespoons Nonfat Milk or Almond Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 ½ Tablespoons of Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 425℉
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder
- Cut in the cubes of butter until it is fine crumbs
- Stir in the syrup, yogurt,vanilla, and 3 tablespoons of milk
- Fold in 2 tablespoons of the dark chocolate chips
- Shape your dough into a circle about ¾ of an inch high on the baking sheet then brush the rest of the milk onto the dough
- Slice the dough into triangular shapes and then press the rest of the chocolate chips onto the scones
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown
Who said pastries couldn’t be healthy and delicious at the same time?
Pastry Braid W/ Maple Pecan
So, this recipe from Wicked Healthy is incredible!! Not only is it delicious, but you don’t have to feel guilty after having some.
From the pecans and nut milk to the maple syrup you’ll find incredible health benefits all the way around. You can enjoy this with an afternoon cup of tea or coffee and even for breakfast.
If you do a little searching you’ll find many more amazingly healthy pastry recipes! Remember, it’s all about the ingredient choices that make or break the healthy status!